Carpet Care Tips
by Wools of New Zealand
Wool carpet and rugs from the Wools of New Zealand Mill Partners make a statement about your sense of style and value. And whether you chose our carpet for its quality, durability or beauty, you can maintain its hard-wearing, long-lasting good looks by remembering to:
- Vacuum regularly
- Remove spills immediately
- Professionally clean (for residential use: once every year or two)
Below are some tips and tricks for carpet care.
A simple maintenance program including regular, interim and periodic cleanings will keep your wool carpet looking as good as the day it was installed!
The simplest and most frequent maintenance involves vacuuming and spot removal, as well as preventive measures.
Regular and thorough vacuuming once a week (more often in heavy traffic areas) is an economical and effective way to remove soil and dirt particles before they become embedded into the pile of the carpet. For best results, empty your vacuum bag when half full.
Spot and stain removal
- An upright vacuum with a beater bar/brush is best for cut pile carpet
- A suction-only vacuum is recommended for loop pile Berber carpet to prevent excessive fuzzing.
With spot and stain removal, speed is of the essence.
- Blot up liquids with paper towel or absorbent cloth. Scoop up solids with the end of a knife or spoon.
- Apply spot removal agent to clean towel or cloth, not directly to the spot. Use small quantities. Always work inwards from edge to prevent spreading. Do not rub, as this may cause the spot to spread or distort the pile. Do not over-wet the carpet pile.
- Afterwards, blot as dry as possible with clean towel.
- Place absorbent mats at entrances to your home; change or launder when these mats become dirty.
- Regularly change filters in your heating and air conditioning systems.
- Clean traffic lanes and in front of frequently used chairs periodically with an absorbent powder such as Host®, Capture® or Dri-Matic®.
- Do not apply stain repellent treatments that contain any silicone, because they tend to accelerate carpet soiling. Note: some carpet manufacturers do not accept responsibility for complaints where such treatments have been used.
Occasionally, more comprehensive cleaning is needed to restore color and appearance. Impregnated absorbent compound - inert powders impregnated with a mixture of cleansing agents and solvents - can be brushed into the carpet pile on an interim basis to absorb dirt from the carpet fiber.
Thorough cleaning is required periodically to remove the deepest soil. There are many deep cleaning methods you can use to ensure the beauty and life of a wool carpet or rug. When having your wool carpet professional cleaned, use a reputable company and check references.