Green Building Supply Strand Bamboo Flooring
Strand bamboo is a smart choice for a highly durable, long-lasting fashionable flooring that is a sustainable alternative to hardwood flooring. Suitable for most residential and commercial foot traffic, our strand bamboo flooring is best known for its ability to handle serious punishment from kids, pets, rough tenants, and heavy retail traffic. Available in solid nail down or DIY engineered floating styles, Green Building Supply (GBS) Strand Bamboo can be applied below, at or above grade, and even over radiant heat.
Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our customers, whose families and friends live, work and play on our floors every day. GBS Strand Bamboo wood flooring is made with no added urea formaldehyde, is ultra low or no VOC, and emits no hazardous chemicals that might pollute your indoor air quality. It’s safe for people, pets, and the planet, and even for the chemically sensitive.
GBS Strand Bamboo is made to the highest standards of indoor air quality:
- FloorScore Certified and annually tested
- Meets no added urea formaldehyde (NAUF) standard; .02 ppm
- Exceeds Carb Phase 1 (.08) and Phase 2 (.05) standards for formaldehyde
- Exceeds European E1 (.10 ppm) and E0 (.07ppm) standards
- Exceeds OSHA (.30ppm) standards
- Complies with Toxic Substance Control Act
Three styles of GBS Strand Bamboo:
1. Solid tongue and groove that is installed professionally with glue or nails. It requires a perfectly flat subfloor of concrete, plywood or OSB. 3 3/4 wide or 5 5/8 wide x 9/16 thick x 6’ long.
2. Engineered Click Lock is a DIY floating floor applied over an underlayment with no glue or nails. 5 5/8 or 7 1/2” wide x 9/16” thick and 6’ long.
3. Engineered tongue and groove that is professionally glued or nailed down, or DIY floated. It can be glued over concrete, plywood or OSB or floated with an underlayment that includes a vapor barrier. 5 5/8 wide x 9/16 thick x 6’ long.
Four surface styles of GBS Strand Bamboo:
GBS Strand Bamboo is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified
GBS is one of the few bamboo floor companies in the USA whose products are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC-C141926). This certification ensures that the bamboo: is harvested from well-managed forests, has not been clear cut, is grown without toxic pesticides, the manufacturer pays fair wages, supports the social, and economic wellbeing of the farmers and communities, utilizes forestry practices that have the least impact on the environment and ensures long term maintenance and growth of eco-systems and habitats.
Buying products that are FSC certified not only supports the forests, local farmers, and local habitats for birds and animals but also reduces pesticides and soil erosion, increases biodiversity and water quality. Because forests and especially bamboo forests sequester so much carbon, they are critical in the fight against climate change.
How is GBS Strand Bamboo made?
GBS Strand Bamboo is fabricated from mature Moso bamboo that is 5 -6 years old because it is the hardest densest wood fiber. It is then compressed under heat and pressure to create a super-dense floor that is 2-3X the hardness of oak.
The Janka scale is a trusted measure of hardness and Green Building Bamboo has a Janka rating > 4000-5000 compared to maple 1,450 or oak 1,360. Higher scores mean more resistance to wear and tear and will not be permanently damaged by pet claws. Strand bamboo is also highly water-resistant for up to 30 hours. In fact, it is so dent and moisture resistant that it comes with a 50 year structural and finish warranty that ensures your flooring will last for generations.
This page was written by Joel Hirshberg