Why do we do this?
Because we know that if we do our homework properly,
- you'll be happy with the results
- you'll come to trust our expertise
- green building will become more popular
- you'll continue to buy from our store
- there will be integrity and fulfillment in our work
What are our methods?
We've reviewed hundreds of eco-products and have chosen only the best ones. In order for a product to qualify for our store we:
- personally test it or related product(s) in the same line, as consumers ourselves; we choose practical products that are easy to understand and that work well
- get feedback from other builders and homeowners
- visit job sites to see how these products are installed in the real world
- procure MSDS sheets from manufacturers and study the fine print
- attend trade shows, conferences and workshops to find the latest products
- for many products, we visit manufacturing facilities to see how the products are really made
Perhaps you ask, 'How can I afford green building materials?'
Although you may be on a tight budget, there are creative ways to build a green home or office without compromising quality. We're aware of the challenges and invite you to take advantage of our expertise in order to get the look and quality you want, at a price you can afford. We've done it with our own home and with hundreds of others — and we're confident we can help you too.
How do eco-friendly and sustainable products compare in cost to toxic products?
As a rule, natural and non-toxic products (e.g. wood, bamboo, cork, wool carpet, natural linoleum, marble/granite/limestone/porcelain, natural finishes, etc.) tend to be our favorites. They are sometimes more expensive than other products initially, but that's not the whole story.
Sustainable products tend to:
- last longer
- wear better
- clean easier
- smell better
- create a pleasing, healthier environment for residents
- be biodegradable
Non-sustainable products, on the other hand, tend to:
- be short-lived
- require more maintenance
- exhibit toxic and foul smells for many months, with some out-gassing undetected for years
- compromise the health of individuals and the environment
- provide only short-term pleasure
- sit in landfills almost forever
In the long run, the life-cycle costs of sustainable products are usually less expensive. Plus they bring greater satisfaction during installation and for generations of use.
Since 1991 we have supplied natural and non-toxic materials to countless homeowners and builders for new and remodeled homes and commercial buildings. Many of our clients forced us to find natural products that would compete in price with cheaper, unnatural products. This was a challenge, but we did it.
A new trend
Non-toxic products used to be more expensive to manufacture than their toxic counterparts. This was due, in part, to the newness of the products and the small numbers of people using them. This trend has changed in the last few years; prices have fallen due to the widening market and the improvement of manufacturing techniques.
Demand for environmentally-friendly products is at an all-time high, not only in the building market but in the clothing and food markets as well. As the world wakes up to the lasting value and joy of using healthy building materials, we fully expect this trend to continue for a long time to come.
In addition to understanding the nature of eco-products, we're also involved on the local level in using these products to help build a sustainable future. We promote healthy building environments in several ways including belonging to trade and environmental associations, sponsoring conferences, earth days and eco-fairs, donating a portion of our earnings to non-profit organizations that create peace and better the environment, and consulting with clients nationwide who personally test and use green building products.
Comments and suggestions
If you have any questions about our products that are not covered in our website, or suggestions about new products, please let us know. We appreciate your feedback. This information is very useful to us and to others who may be building. Often the best products are introduced to us by our customers.